Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Comment

Delicacy and glamour: a guy's thing too. Model: Edward Vigiletti

Let me share with you all an insightful comment I just got from on of my readers, Jim Dunlop

In  a recent post, in which I was wondering about the "sex attributes" we apply to clothing. 
I had asked:

"Are you a manly, macho man or a delicate, feminine, "femiman" ? Or rather something in-between?
Does your clothing reflect that? "

He replied: 

"I am ME! I can be equally comfortable getting greasy while fixing my motorbike, wearing an old T-shirt and jeans, working in an office with a shirt, tie, and painted nails, and taking ballet classes wearing tights and a leotard. Depends on the mood, depends on the day, and depends on the circumstances.
"I wear pants, kilts, sarongs... High heels, low heels... All manner of accessories... Again, it all depends on mood and circumstance. I wholesale reject the idea that femininity is supposed to be a pejorative in a man's life as much as I reject that women should be placed into a gender box.

"The difference is: Since the 1960s, women have been busy breaking OUT of THEIR gender boxes... At the same time, men have been making THEIR gender boxes smaller and stronger. It's time for men to realize what women did decades ago and fight for society to see THEM as equal!

"I also don't see any necessary connection between traits like assertiveness, aggressiveness, gentleness, or passivity and fashion. I can be just as assertive wearing heels as I can without.
"(For the record, I'm straight and happily married to a woman who enjoys my out-of-the-box thinking, eccentric style and hobbies)."
Clever, intelligent remarks. Thank you Jim.


"Connosieur de la Mode" 

Pic source:
Jim's profile at Lookbook

(I can see that we are alike in many ways: besides our "out-of-the-box" fashion choices, I'm also happily married to a very supportive lady).

Check out that post, and tell me what you're answer would have been!


Related

No comments:

Post a Comment