Friday, April 2, 2010

Street fashion: America, Philippines, China

Skinny, anorectic young male models, or brawny, steroid-stuffed ones, carefully groomed and styled for the runway or the photo-studio, displaying beautiful, elegant, and, one presumes, costly garments signed by big-name fashion designers appear to most of us almost as something unreal, out of this world, far removed from our day-to-day life.

Even more so, perhaps, if the items exhibited are not part of the ordinary male wardrobe.
In fact, more and more often, we come across skirts, heels, dresses and other not-too-masculine-looking items (at least by traditional standards) in male collections. They look wonderful in those ideal-looking, devastatingly handsome young men, but... are they for real?

I mean, what about the common guy? Is that "fashion freedom" also reaching the ordinary chap out there on the streets? Will we be meeting normal, less-that-perfect looking guys wearing skirts, flowered leggings or make up in our everyday life? Now that it is starting to be accepted (or at least tolerated), will complete male fashion freedom ever reach the mainstream?

That's why "street-fashion" blogs are so interesting: they not only show what "real" people are wearing, but they also have this tendency to actually set the trends: Many a fashion designer refers to them when he or she is designing a collection destined to the "massive" market, the large retailers, rather that the exclusive boutiques.

Today I've been looking for snapshots of these totally unprofessional, nonvoluntary models displaying some unusual outerwear. I was surprised by the large number of pics. These are only a few of them. I'd appreciate your help if you could suggest other images for a future posting.

Skirts for you both

Posted by Genderqueer (a blog that publishes images of gender-bending, "trans" and queer people of all sorts). Both he and his girl-friend look great in denim skirts, and I don't think he looks "queer" at all!




Artwork (and alternative fashions) exhibition
DSC_0225

Blogger Chi (left) attended a vernissage with some friends. The meeting was quite a happening, fashion-wise. These were posted by Foxe Marquez.

DSC_0258

From the same gathering, this time posted by Stylesamurai


A closer look at Chi's getup


Blogger Karl Leuterio was also present, in a shredded top made by himself



A boy (Mike) in tunic and matching blazer


Not your regular Kung-Fu gear

A Chinese man in a beautiful light gauze dress, posted by Jujiin

4406973259_e5a3393d6a

I could go on and on... but I think these are OK for now. I'll keep some more pics in reserve for my next posting. In fact, this probably should become a regular feature, don't you think so?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, most definitely it would be wonderful to have as a regular feature real (non models) men on the street in skirts/dresses, heels, etc. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, FS! And I love your blogs, all three of them! You have an exquisite taste.
    And thanks for the input, Bona, I'll try to post "street-fashionista" pics more often. And I guess I should be in some of them too, right? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been fascinated with the pics you've been posting, and some of the outfits are so a) erotically stimulating, and b) gorgeous, I'd almost want to go out and buy them myself. But the biggest issue I seem to have is that the ugliness of LARGE male feet are not mitigated by properly designed shoes, when men begin to wear more 'feminine' attire. I mean, combat boots with skirts? COME ON.

    The ONLY man who really pulls off the mix of male and femme, seems to be Victor Blanco- but who has that physique? I mean, I am 6'4" 46" chest, and weigh 250, with a size 13d foot. I look good in a kilt, MAYBE, but the shoes? Anyway, I'm rambling, but though some of these 'on the street shots' are ok, they would be good, if only some 'real men' (i.e., LARGE MALE PHYSIQUES) were on display. Otherwise, the stigma of tiny 'sissy men' and 'feminine attire' is gonna stick, no matter WHAT the 'designer boys' do... Thanks, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, my anonymous friend. You're right in more than one sense: one should admit that fashion-oriented males face the exact same problem as women do, especially those that, like ourselves, are into more unconventional clothing. Designs don't look as cool on most middle-aged matrons as they do on skinny professional models crossing the runway! It seems as if designers were simply not designing for older people in an industry that becomes increasingly youth-oriented.
    (I'm actually planning a show for which I'll hire only beautiful middle-age ladies, -even a few overweight- just to show that they too can look gorgeous given the right design. But that'll probably not be anywhere soon)
    Not all of us are Victor Blanco, that is true. But neither are all women Adriana Lima or Cindy Crawford, but they can end up looking great with a bit of good taste, expertise, and a commonsense knowledge of their own bodies. I'm sure we "New Males" can do just the same!
    Yeah: shoes can be a real problem. For me, my small feet are a real blessing, since I have no problem finding any footwear I want in my size. And I'm also grateful for my thinness (for which, paradoxically enough, I was so bullied at high-school). I've sure gained several pounds over the years, but I can still pull it off with my peculiar style.
    All you have to do is to be creative and brave, and start experimenting with your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the unconventional styles of street fashion!!! As a designer, I want to create these things, not only for myself, but others. I always tell people that my clothes are for women and men with bold personalities. They have to be willing to turn the street into the runway and be comfortable in it. I know that i am older than the guys in these pics, but i am happy to be a skinny man still able to pull these looks off. I look forward to seeing more pics like this and getting more ideas from them.

    ReplyDelete